Wimba trial available for all Axio instructors
November 01, 2007 by Axio Staff
Use this quick reference guide to begin collaborating live with others at your institution today
- Computer with Internet connection
- Inexpensive headset and microphone
- Sign into Axio, and open an existing course, or create a new course.
- Under Course Management, click Components.
- Click the Wimba Live Classroom checkbox.
You will see Wimba in two places – Manage Wimba Content under Content Management and Wimba Live under Communication.
- Click the Wimba Live link.
- Since this is your first time in Wimba, you should run the Setup Wizard.
- TIP: Run this wizard if you use a different computer for Wimba. Also, make sure that others in your Wimba classroom run the wizard.
PowerPoint slides and videos work great in Wimba. Two important things to remember: PowerPoint slides are converted to .gif image files, so slide transitions and animations will not work. Most video formats are OK, but streaming video is not.
- Click the Wimba Content link.
- Click the Default Content Folder link, or click the New Folder button to begin uploading content. You can browse for a file, add a Web site or create a new poll.
- After uploading content, you can reorder, change the title names, change the target, and enter your new room. Click the Enter Room button and explore.
- NOTE: If you already have content in Manage Files that you want to present in your Wimba room, you will have to re-upload it in Manage Wimba Content.
Participants will access your Wimba room by signing into Axio and entering your course, so only those on your course roster can access your Wimba room. If you have a guest participant, make sure they have an Axio user name and password, and that you add them to the course roster.
Present:Tell everyone the date and time of your presentation and to run the Setup Wizard in advance. Practice your presentation with a colleague, and try the following: use the screen grab feature and make sure your colleague can see your screen, enable your colleague to write on the eBoard, or archive the presentation.
- Always conduct an audio check.
- Ask participants to click the Yes button to indicate they hear you, and speak continuously to give them a chance to hear.
- If no one can hear you, check your microphone to make sure it is on, or dial into the telephone simulcast.
- Use Lock-Talk On to keep your hands free, but do not use stand-alone speakers with this feature because speakers cause an echo effect.
- Turn off or mute phone ringers, the radio and the television.
ORIENT NEW PARTICIPANTS
- Briefly explain the Wimba features such as how students can raise their hands and how they can use text chat.
- Share an area, and ask participants to click Yes if they see your shared area. Make sure not to share personal information such as grades.
- Ask if anyone is using dial-up to connect. If they are, go at a slower pace.